Sunday, February 21, 2016

Childhood Sociopath

Back when we used to gather after school
And shoot some hoops or even pool
And you let me wear your hoodie
Cause even though we were ‘Just friends’
Everyone would know to keep their hands off

Because back then we were everything and nothing
And I think I told you no so many times, you knew I was bluffing
You always swore you’d wait until one day I’d break
But it seems my ability to outlast and outstay you
Really kept me the winner
That line is getting thinner

Back when we used to walk in the frost
And you’d take some perverse joy in the mere thought
That you could crush my frozen fingers with yours
And pretend that the pain was for a greater cause

Because back then we were everything and nothing
And I told you to fuck off far too fucking often
But you always swore you’d wait until one day I’d break
But you never really counted on a silly thing like fate
It kept me the winner
That line’s been getting thinner

Back when I wrangled the truth from you
In choked out sobs
Because my childish cruelty could never get enough
Not enough of you and being drunk on my power
And how I could still hurt you after your love turned sour

Because back then we were still everything and nothing
And I go back there in my mind ever so often
Just to visit that place
Of a comfy status quo
Just to find out what I already know
I will never be able to do as you
There’s one thing I love
And my ego gets bruised
So I set you on fire
And I played with the flames.
Whenever you fight back
It just means I win.