Thursday, January 7, 2016

To Band Boy on His Birthday

How do you want me today?
If you‘re good to go, I‘m ready to play.
If the last years have been any indication
It‘s not that hard to find your inclination

Just smudge me out and fill in what you want
The way you rasp “I love you” is the cruelest taunt

How do we do this, this time?
I can stake the claim, baby “mine”
It’s just a word and it tastes so right
Up against your skin, makes your head light.

Just smudge me out and fill in what you want
The way you cry “I hate you” is the sweetest taunt

So tell me if you’re ready to go
I’ve brought every mask of me you have ever known
I can plead and act like you are cruel
I can be the picture of cool

Just smudge me out and fill in what you need
The way you scream my name is pure greed

And I can never tell, if I’m doing my job well
Until I feel that shiver when your voice swells

And I can never know, If it’s time to let this go
It’s probably been time for longer than I care to know…

Just smudge me out and fill in what you need
I can be whatever just to satisfy your greed.